U16 (14 & 15)
The primary focus of this program is continued tactical and skill development of the Giant Slalom (GS) and Slalom (SL) techniques, as well as Phase 6 of the USSA SkillsQuest. There is additional focus on the Super Giant Slalom (SG) discipline at this level. The U16 program is open to the public and not limited to members of the Pico Ski Club.
Parent/Guardian Expectations: As parents/guardians of participants in the Pico Ski Club Racing Program, you play a crucial role in the program not only through the support you provide your child/children, but also in supporting the program on race days, as it takes as many as 30 people to staff a race. The Pico Ski Club Race Program has a Race Work Day policy that applies to all families with participants in U10-U21 programs. A Work Day deposit of $375 is assessed per family upon registration, and is refunded in full to those families that complete the required three Work Day credits. Additional information can be found on this page.
Events: All racers participate in VARA and USSA scored events on a state level. All participants will have the opportunity to compete at the VARA U16 State Championships. Additionally, those participants who qualify will compete in State and regional events. A USSA Competitor U16 and over license and an Alpine Competitor VARA license are required to participate in all VARA and USSA scored events.
Event schedules are listed on the VARA website.
U16 Program Ages:
Years of birth: 2001-2002, ages 14 and 15 years as of 12/31/16.
Program dates: Mid-October 2016* – Mid-March 2017 (weather dependent and subject to change)
Winter training days: Fridays 12:30-4 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8:30-11 a.m. and 12 noon-TBD: afternoon (end times fluctuate based on training and weather); Training days during Christmas and winter school vacations.
Dryland training typically begins in mid-October for a few hours each Sunday morning.
*Early season on-snow training typically occurs at Killington Resort until terrain is available at Pico Mountain. While training at Killington is not required for the athletes, those who do participate will be required to have a Killington Lift Ticket or Killington Season Pass.
2016-2017 Program Fees
$1,074 if registered on or before December 1, 2016
$1,174 if registered after December 1, 2016
Competition License required for this program:
USSA Competitor U16 and older
VARA Alpine Competitor
Club Use Fee for race program participants who are not Pico Ski Club Members: $100 first participant; $40 each additional participant. This allows ONLY the participating child to use the Club ONLY during the Race Program days.
Work Day Fee: The Pico Ski Club Race Program has a Race Work Day policy that applies to all families with participants in U10-U21 programs. A Work Day deposit of $375 is assessed upon registration, and is refunded in full to those families that complete the required three Work Day credits.
RECOMMENDED: One pair SL, GS and Super G skis*; comfortable and warm ski boots with flex not to exceed 80 (some participants may require a different flex based on physical size); poles; warm and comfortable ski clothing; shin guards, appropriately sized for participant; a pair of slalom poles with pole guards and a pair of GS poles.
REQUIRED: FIS Approved helmet with hard ear coverings is required for Giant Slalom. The helmet to be used for Giant Slalom MUST the FIS hologram. For Slalom, a helmet with hard ear coverings with chin guard accessory or a soft ear helmet may be worn; Pico Mountain ski pass or daily lift ticket; USSA and VARA memberships.
*Please discuss any ski questions with the coaching staff prior to any purchase/loan.
U16 Race Program Registration
Please follow these 5 steps for online registration for registration in the Race Program:
- Family Setup: You will only have to do this the first time you register. However, if you are a previous Pico Ski Club Member and have already renewed your 2016-17 membership, most of this information will be pulled from the database when you login. Please use an e-mail address you check regularly. If you forget your password, you will need your correct e-mail address.
- Participant Setup: Again, you will only have to do this once for each participant.
- Registration for the season: This section contains the information for each member/participant for the current season. For all race programs participants, this information will include: program level, health insurance information, emergency contacts, medical information.
- Fees: Each family will be assesed a $375 refundable Work Day Fee if all work day requirements are fulfilled. If your family is not a member of the Pico Ski Club, a $100 Club Use Fee will be assesed for the first participant, and $40 for each additional participant.
- Checkout: You may pay by credit card or check. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can pay in three installments for Race Program Fees. The first installment will be paid at checkout and the second installment will be processed to your credit card on December 1, 2016 and the third installment will be charged to your credit card on January 1, 2017.