U8 & U8+ (5-10 years old)
The primary focus of this program is on free-skiing, accruing mileage and having fun! The goal is to get the children excited about skiing while developing skills to be a solid all-mountain skier. Participants must be able to ride the chairlift, and ski independently and comfortably from mid-Pico Mountain to the base area. This program is open to the public and not limited to members of the Pico Ski Club.
Parent/Guardian Expectations: This program is successful because of the added volunteer help of parents/guardians. While not required each to ski with the groups, parents/guardians are expected to help by riding with children on the chairlifts, as one adult is required for each loaded chair. When there is enough assistance, coaches will notify parents/guardians when not needed for chairlift loading.
The goal is to have one or two all-mountain events at Pico Mountain, where participants ski beginner gates, moguls and park features that promote various skiing skills.
Years of birth: 2006-2011, ages 5 -10 as of 12/31/16
The coaching staff will evaluate participants ages 8+ to determine if U8 or U10 is the appropriate level for athlete placement. Evaluations will take place in December and are at the sole discretion of coaches.
Program dates: Mid-December 2016 – Mid-March 2017 (weather dependent and subject to change)
Skiing start date: TBA (weather dependent and subject to change)
Training days: Saturday and Sunday 9-11:30 a.m.
Four to five half- days during Christmas and school vacations.
U8+ Extended Day Program:
This program is open to skiers who are born in 2007 and are eligible to register for the U10 or U12 programs for the 2016-2017 season, and are invited by a coach to participate. This group will ski from 12:30-2:30 pm. on Saturdays and a few afternoons during February vacation. The purpose of the Extended Day Program is to prepare the skiers who will progress to the U10 or U12 programs. The group will shadow U10 and U12 groups, join them for drills, skills, and to ski brushes and gates. There is an additional $150 fee to participate in the program, which typically begins the first week in January.
*Eligibility for this program is based on age and skill development of the athlete. Parents of eligible athletes for this program will be notified by the coaching staff by January 6, 2017.
2016-2017 Coaching fee: $549
Club Use fee for race program participants who are not part members of the Pico Ski Club: $100 first participant; $40 each additional participant. This allows ONLY the participating child to use the Club ONLY during the Race Program days.
RECOMMENDED: A basic recreational ski; comfortable and warm ski boots; poles are not required but can be used if participant is ready; warm and comfortable ski clothing.
REQUIRED: Helmet, goggles, mittens (preferred instead of gloves) Pico Mountain ski pass or daily lift ticket.
Please note that VARA and USSA licenses are not required to participate in this program.
Melissa Welch Patterson
U8 Race Program Registration
Please follow these 5 steps for online registration for registration in the Race Program:
- Family Setup: You will only have to do this the first time you register. However, if you are a previous Pico Ski Club Member and have already renewed your 2016-17 membership, most of this information will be pulled from the database when you login. Please use an e-mail address you check regularly. If you forget your password, you will need your correct e-mail address.
- Participant Setup: Again, you will only have to do this once for each participant.
- Registration for the season: This section contains the information for each member/participant for the current season. For all race programs participants, this information will include: program level, health insurance information, emergency contacts, medical information.
- Fees: Each family will be assesed a $375 refundable Work Day Fee if all work day requirements are fulfilled. If your family is not a member of the Pico Ski Club, a $100 Club Use Fee will be assesed for the first participant, and $40 for each additional participant.
- Checkout: You may pay by credit card or check. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can pay in three installments (two for U8) for Race Program Fees. The first installment will be paid at checkout and the second installment will be processed to your credit card on December 1, 2016 and the third installment will be charged to your credit card on January 1, 2017.