The primary focus of this program is the skill development of the Giant Slalom (GS) and Slalom (SL) techniques as well as a focus on Phases 1-4 of U.S. Ski & Snowboard SkillsQuest. All 11 year-olds will work toward a U14 SL progression. There is an introduction to Super Giant Slalom (SG) techniques and tactics for second-year U12 participants. This introduction occurs in a camp format within the Mid-Vermont Council. The U12 program is open to the public and not limited to members of the Pico Ski Club.
Parent/Guardian Expectations: As parents/guardians of participants in the Pico Ski Club Racing Program, you play a crucial role in the program not only through the support you provide your child/children, but also in supporting the program on race days, as it takes as many as 30 people to staff a race. The Pico Ski Club Race Program has a Race Work Day policy that applies to all families with participants in U10-U21 programs. A Work Day deposit of $375 is assessed per family upon registration, and is refunded in full to those families that complete the required three Work Day credits. Additional information can be found on this page.
There are typically six events scheduled to include a Giant Slalom race, Slalom camp, Slalom race, SG camp, U.S. Ski & Snowboard SkillsQuest Assessment and Festival. These events are competed at and with Council teams from the following areas: Killington, Middlebury, Okemo, Quechee and Suicide Six. A U.S. Ski & Snowboard Competitor U12 license and an Alpine Youth VARA license are required to participate in all Mid-Vermont Council (MVC) events.
The 2018 MVC calendar of events can be found at the bottom of the VARA website on the MVC page.
U12 Program Ages:
Years of birth: 2006-2007, ages 10 and 11 years as of 12/31/17.
Program dates: Mid-November (dryland trainig) 2017 - Mid-March 2018 (weather dependent and subject to change)
Skiing start date: TBD
Winter training days: Saturday and Sunday 9-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m.; Training days during Christmas and winter school vacations.
Dryland training typically begins in mid-November for a few hours each Sunday morning.
2017-2018 Program Fees
$899 if registered on or before December 1, 2017
$999 after December 1, 2017
Competition License required for this program: U.S. Ski & Snowboard Competitor U12 Alpine Youth VARA
Club Use Fee for race program participants who are not Pico Ski Club Members: $100 first participant; $40 each additional participant. This allows ONLY the participating child to use the Club ONLY during the Race Program days.
Work Day Fee: The Pico Ski Club Race Program has a Race Work Day policy that applies to all families with participants in U10-U21 programs. A Work Day deposit of $375 is assessed upon registration, and is refunded in full to those families that complete the required three Work Day credits.
RECOMMENDED: A Slalom or combination ski; comfortable and warm ski boots with 60 or 65 flex; poles; warm and comfortable ski clothing
REQUIRED: Helmet hard ear coverings, Pico Mountain ski pass or daily lift ticket; U.S. Ski & Snowboard and VARA memberships; 11 year-olds may require chin bars, shin guards and pole guards based on SL progression; this equipment will be phased in as needed based on this progression; Participants may require a second pair of skis, based on development and progression throughout the season.
Dan Rubin & Dawn Adams
U12 Race Program Registration
Please follow these 5 steps for online registration for registration in the Race Program:
- Family Setup: You will only have to do this the first time you register. However, if you are a previous Pico Ski Club Member and have already renewed your 2017-2018 membership, most of this information will be pulled from the database when you login. Please use an e-mail address you check regularly. If you forget your password, you will need your correct e-mail address.
- Participant Setup: Again, you will only have to do this once for each participant.
- Registration for the season: This section contains the information for each member/participant for the current season. For all race programs participants, this information will include: program level, health insurance information, emergency contacts, medical information.
- Fees: Each family will be assesed a $375 refundable Work Day Fee if all work day requirements are fulfilled. If your family is not a member of the Pico Ski Club, a $100 Club Use Fee will be assesed for the first participant, and $40 for each additional participant.
- Checkout: You may pay by credit card or check. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can pay in three installments for Race Program Fees. The first installment will be paid at checkout and the second installment will be processed to your credit card on December 1, 2017 and the third installment will be charged to your credit card on January 1, 2018.