This program continues development of all-mountain skiing skills while incorporating alpine race skills. Participants practice more skills of the Giant Slalom (GS) technique, and are introduced to the Slalom (SL) technique and skills as well as Phases 1-3 of U.S. Ski & Snowboard SkillsQuest. The U10 program is open to the public and not limited to members of the Pico Ski Club.
Parent/Guardian Expectations: As parents/guardians of participants in the Pico Ski Club Racing Program, you play a crucial role in the program not only through the support you provide your child/children, but also in supporting the program on race days, as it takes as many as 30 people to staff a race. The Pico Ski Club Race Program has a Race Work Day policy that applies to all families with participants in U10-U21 programs. A Work Day deposit of $375 is assessed per family upon registration, and is refunded in full to those families that complete the required three Work Day credits. Additional information can be found on this page.
There are typically four events scheduled to include a Giant Slalom race, Slalom camp, Slalom race, and Festival. These events are competed at and with Council teams from the following areas: Killington, Middlebury, Okemo, Quechee and Suicide Six. A U.S. Ski & Snowboard Competitor U10 and under and an Alpine Youth VARA license are required to participate in all Mid-Vermont Council events.
The 2019 MVC calendar of events can be found at the bottom of the VARA website on the MVC page.
U10 Program Ages:
2009-2010 birth years, ages 8 and 9 years as of 12/31/18.
Program months: Mid-December 2018 - Mid-March 2019 (weather dependent and subject to change)
Skiing start date: TBD
Winter training days: Saturday and Sunday 9-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m.; Training during Christmas and winter vacations coinciding with both Vermont and out-of-state vacation schedules.
2018-2019 Program Fees
$899 if registered on or before December 1, 2018
$999 after December 1, 2018
Club Use Fee for race program participants who are not Pico Ski Club Members: $100 first participant; $40 each additional participant. This allows ONLY the participating child to use the Club ONLY during the Race Program days.
Work Day Fee: The Pico Ski Club Race Program has a Race Work Day policy that applies to all families with participants in U10-U21 programs. A Work Day deposit of $375 is assessed upon registration, and is refunded in full to those families that complete the required three Work Day credits.
RECOMMENDED: A Slalom or combination ski; comfortable and warm ski boots with 60 or 65 flex; poles; warm and comfortable ski clothing
REQUIRED: Helmet with hard ear coverings, Pico Mountain ski pass or daily lift ticket; U.S. Ski & Snowboard and VARA memberships.
Dan Rubin & Dawn Adams
U10 Race Program Registration
Please follow these 5 steps for online registration for registration in the Race Program:
- Family Setup: You will only have to do this the first time you register. However, if you are a previous Pico Ski Club Member and have already renewed your 2018-2019 membership, most of this information will be pulled from the database when you login. Please use an e-mail address you check regularly. If you forget your password, you will need your correct e-mail address.
- Participant Setup: Again, you will only have to do this once for each participant.
- Registration for the season: This section contains the information for each member/participant for the current season. For all race programs participants, this information will include: program level, health insurance information, emergency contacts, medical information.
- Fees: Each family will be assessed a $375 refundable Work Day Fee if all work day requirements are fulfilled. If your family is not a member of the Pico Ski Club, a $100 Club Use Fee will be assessed for the first participant, and $40 for each additional participant.
- Checkout: You may pay by credit card or check. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can pay in three installments for Race Program Fees. The first installment will be paid at checkout and the second installment will be processed to your credit card on December 1, 2018 and the third installment will be charged to your credit card on January 1, 2019.